Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Update on the ears

So Thanksgiving has come and gone! They Boys are busy with the advent calander counting down the days. Kyan is getting excited for Santa to make a grand entrance on Christmas morning, he is however a bit worried he my get coal in his stalking! I know I know its mean but he needs some reality check into his sassy 4 year old life! We brought Ky to the ENT on tues and we got both good and bad news. First the bad news. They gave him another hearing test, this time in the sound proof booth. More official than at the Ped. office. The audiologist printed off a graph. At the top was "Base Line" hearing. about 4 rows down in the graph showed what hearing would be like with ear plugs in. And then about another 3 rows down....was where Kyan was plotted on the graph :( So basically he cant hear. Poor guy, I felt my eyes swell up a bit. I had a lot of flash backs at that appt from when I was younger (went through the same stuff all the way up until I was 13) You feel so helpless when you find out something is wrong with your kid. He's had a, for the most part healthy life but this last year has been trying with all the uncurable "colds " So the good news is the hearing is not permanent damage and when/if he gets his tubes in and possibly adenoids removed all hearing should be restored. Thank Goodness! Our plans for surgery are not for after the holidays anyway so our ENT suggested Ky use a Nasal Steroid Spray in hopes that it will decrease inflammation in the adenoids which would relieve pressure on the Eustachian tubes allowing the fluid accumulated behind his ear drum to drain "normally" We are trying this because he has a hx of snoring and also has had this ongoing "cold" for months which may actually be allergies. I'm not sure of the effectiveness of this but its worth a try until Jan. Ky goes back Jan 13, if his drums aren't drained its time for some tubin'!

My little Pie is so freakin' cute! I love him so much and he is such a little lover himself (if he's getting his way) His vocabulary is wilding increasing and he will say anything you ask him. He is starting simple sentences. For instance when he is picked up out of his crib after a snooze he says,"GO!" and points to the door. Now I make him say "Go Please" He's such a ham! He still admirers doing everything big bro does and is pretty good at most of it. He is able to tell me every time he goes potty in his diaper. When he pees he grabs his crotch and says, "Butt, butt, butt" Hopefully he will start to recognise the sensation BEFORE he's actually peeing! He only has 4 months to be out of diapers to beat his bro (YES THIS IS A COMPETITION! mom and dad don't like dirty diapers!) Nolan loves stories now and mom loves down time of reading to them! Because they don't watch TV this is our only real mellow time! Pie's fav is "My Potty Book" and then "I Love You Through and Through") I wish they could stay this age forever! (this age and potty trained of course)

No comments: